Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yacht Interior Design

As most of you probably already know, my full time job is with a naval architecture and marine engineering firm, where I provide interior design services for yachts. Before working here, I had never even been inside of a YACHT (small boat, yes...yacht, no) and had NO clue how different they were to design than architecture. My first day of work, people were using words that literally sounded like another language.... sheer, chine, keel, leeward, windward, amidships, athwartships...blablabla. Anywho, after a long lesson on boat vocab and a few courses on Marine Interior Design, I began to feel more comfortable with my career choice. (and with all of my newfound boat knowledge, I am now able to impress the deckhands at the marina ;)

The owners of these super expensive vessels opt for the most luxurious and over-the-top designs, most of which end up being huge engineering and architectural feats because of all of the restrictions and challenges of working on a moving space. Here are some of my favorite yacht interiors!


LOVE this head (yes, on a boat, its the head). The tiles look like scales, the space looks clean and exciting.



This definitely reminds me of a residential bathroom. Very architectural and clean looking.




Playful and casual...




City chic, sophisticated loft...







Cool, clean-lined modern simplicity...



Classic, warm, and inviting...
You likey?


















No comments:

Post a Comment